Day Nine

 Wednesday 05/17 @11:00 p.m. 

Hugs, high fives, and holding hands oh my! I was back in elementary school again today, which is a HUGE change from working in middle school. Yet, I think I prefer working with elementary students as opposed to middle schoolers, which is not at all how I expected to feel. I love how the smallest things bring them so much joy. The middle schoolers I have worked with are caught up on their phones, social media, and lots of senseless drama, whereas the younger kids have yet to succumb to the pressure of technology. Their happiness is so pure and I love experiencing their days with them, the happiness it brings me is inexplicable. My day was very short, so I helped out with a gym class, which was slightly brutal solely because it was outside. However, I got to spend time with my kindergarten friends which is always fun and they remembered me from the previous week. I feel this massive sense of accomplishment when they ask to hold my hand or for my help and I like knowing I was an impactful and memorable part of their day. Next, I helped out in an art class, where really, I just talked with kids and made sure they didn’t need any help, as they were in fourth grade. I asked a few of them if they were excited for fifth grade in middle school, and they said no, which I thought was crazy. I then realized that the lack of excitement is most likely because going from elementary school to middle school is quite the change, similar to moving on from high school and going to college in Chicago. I guess we all have our similarities in that regard and some things never change; new adventures will always appear somewhat daunting at first.  


Hours Today: 3


Total Hours: 39


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eleven

Week #1: Reflection