Day Ten

 Thursday 05/18 @7:30 p.m.

Holy cow today was exhausting. I volunteered in the middle school for the last time today, which was bittersweet, but mostly sweet. I helped out in some gym classes and math classes as usual and felt extremely relieved when I was able to walk out of the school for the final time. The highlight of my day was helping out with my sister’s lacrosse practice. She plays on the seventh and eighth grade Lebanon Recreational team, so though the girls were not the most skilled, we still had a lot of fun. We focused on the basics; passing in shuttles, cutting towards and away from the ball, and placing shots in the corners of the net. I was able to help play some defense for a small drill and step in to work on clears and the full-field ride, as they were somewhat short on numbers. Again, like working in schools with educators, coaching requires significant patience and understanding. I found it a bit more challenging and frustrating than teaching, as sometimes the girls just wouldn’t try in drills. As someone who is deeply passionate about sports, trying to motivate these girls and get them excited about lacrosse was a goal of mine, but I found it a lot harder than I had initially expected. I did love seeing how supportive and understanding the girls were to one another. When one of them made a mistake, the team was always there to pick her up and encourage her to keep trying. Eventually, this girl found success, which was so rewarding for both the players and the coaches. Overall, coaching was a challenging yet fun experience and I definitely see more of it in my future.  


Hours Today: 7


Total Hours: 46


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eleven

Day Nine

Week #1: Reflection